British Shooting are delighted to announce the first in our series of Masterclasses of 2019;
“Target Sprint – Competition Skills”.
For athletes wishing to Train to Compete and to Compete to Win. And for coaches who wish to observer*.
Interested Coach Observers: Please apply to Gorgs Geikie Events@BritishShooting.org.uk
The one-day athlete masterclass covers the Micro, Meso and Macro cycles when preparing Pre-Competition / Competition / Post Competition phases. This one-day course is a blend between classroom exercises, theory and practical exercises on the Range giving an insight into how to compete to win.
This Masterclass is open to all athletes who have attained a 35mm Minimum Consideration Time (MCT) for their age group, at a British Shooting recognised event, in the 12months preceding the Masterclass closing date (Wednesday 27th March 2019). And those on the current GB Ranking List. And athletes who competed at the 2018 National Series Final.
*If space permits, this Masterclass also welcomes Coaches and interested individuals who wish to observe the day and learn from the wealth of knowledge and experience share by our experts delivering the day.
See below for further information about athlete and observer eligibility and how to enter.
Date: Saturday 27th April.
Location: Regional Centre host: Target Sprint Cymru, Llandovery College, Carmarthenshire, SA20 0EE
Team of Experts: Full profiles of our team of experts below.
- Erwin Weber – Coach to world class Target Sprint athletes, Bavarian State Target Sprint Coach, German Target Sprint Team Support and recognised by the DSB in 2018 for his exemplary talent development
- Robert Shawyer – ISSF D Class Coach, NSRA Regional Coach, Welsh Target Sprint Lead Coach and British Shooting Target Sprint Educator.
- Graham Bell – MSc Biomechanics, Head of Biomechanics Cardiff Gate, Target Sprint Cymru running Gait and Sprint Coach.
Athletes: £35 +booking fee BUY ATHLETE TICKET HERE.
Coaches: £20 contact the organiser – Gorgs Geikie Events@BritishShooting.org.uk
Limited spaces are available to athletes and observers. Tickets are on a first come first served basis.
Closing date: Wednesday 27th March.
Any questions, please contact:
Parents/guardians and athlete connections are welcomed to relax in the lounge area or take a walk around the Llandovery surroundings, where numerous coffee shops and cafes are available.
Gorgs Geikie, British Shooting Events and Commercial Coordinator said; “We’re delighted to have such a high-quality coaching line-up and programme planned, which aims to support and inspire our high performing Target Sprint athletes to reach their potential as we embark on a new domestic and international competition year. As well as provide an insightful day for current and prospective Target Sprint coaches / support personnel, if space permits.
“We would like to thank the team at our Regional Centre, Target Sprint Cymru for helping us to bring what promises to be a fantastic first British Shooting Masterclass of 2019 together.
“Further 2019 Masterclasses connected with our other Regional Centres are currently in the planning stages and we look forward to announcing these shortly.”
Are you an athlete and wish to attend?
Athlete eligibility: Athletes who have attained a 35mm Minimum Consideration Time (MCT) for their age group, at a British Shooting recognised event, in the 12months preceding the Masterclass closing date (Wednesday 27th March 2019). And those on the current GB Ranking List. And athletes who competed at the 2018 National Series Final.
Current GB Ranking List: CLICK HERE
National Series 2018 Results CLICK HERE
Are you a coach or interested individual wishing to observe?
Subject to space availability, coaches may apply to attend the athlete Masterclass event as observers. Any application to observe must be made to Gorgs Geikie at Events@BritishShooting.org.uk accompanied with a statement of the applicants NSRA Coaching qualification and/or any other current coaching qualification.
Observers will have the opportunity for group and 1:1 Q&A sessions with our team of experts. At these points we welcome you to raise questions and discussion points.
However, we would appreciate you respecting our experts and athletes also participating in the athlete masterclass, allowing their focus to be undistracted during delivery.
A little more detail about our experts:
Profile: Erwin Weber
Since 1979 active in shooting sport in the disciplines LG, KK, KK 60 shot, KK 3×20
Since 1999 summer biathlon LG and KK
From 2014 Target Sprint
2nd place European Senior Championship LG Mass Start, multiple German Champion in Summer Biathlon LG, KK and Target Sprint in the age group
Career as a coach:
1996: Youth club trainer Vorwaldschützen Renholding
1996: County Trainer Air Rifle and Air Rifle 3×20
1999: Club coach summer biathlon LG and KK
2014: Club trainer Target Sprint
2017: DSB discipline trainer at the World Championships in Suhl in cooperation with Peter Steffes and Simone Sternthal
2018: State Coach Bavaria, Target Sprint, Supervision of the DSB selection in ISSF World Tour British Open
Greatest success as a coach:
Since 2006 most successful club in Bavaria and TOP 5 in Germany
Since 2015 most successful club in Target Sprint in Germany
2018 Award from the German Olympic Sports Federation for exemplary talent development
Best athletes in training group:
- Emily Shawyer: 2 Place ISSF WM 2018 in South Korea
- Annika Kroiß: 2nd place ISSF World Championship 2017 in Suhl, member of the DSB squad 2018
- Thomas Haslinger: 3rd place ISSF WM 2017 in Suhl, member of the DSB squad 2018
- Edith Buschsieweke: 4th place ISSF WM 2017 in Suhl, member of the DSB squad 2018
- Alfred Schmatz: 5th place ISSF WM 2017 in SuhlKristina Haslinger: 8th place ISSF WM 2017 in Suhl
- Eva Cruchten: 2nd place German Championship 2018, member of the Bavarian National Team
- Hanna Cruchten: 1st place Bavarian Championship 2018, member of the Bavarian National Team
- Laura Jahrstorfer: 3rd place German Championship 2018, member of the Bavarian National Team
- Clemens Kroiß: 2nd place German Championship 2018, member of the Bavarian National Team
Profile: Robert Shawyer
- Welsh Target Sprint Coach and leading the expansion of Target Sprint Cymru
- British Shooting Target Sprint Educator
- Lead Coach at British Shooting Regional Centre Target Sprint Cymru at Llandovery College, which supports developing athletes who wish to enjoy participating in Target Sprint as well as aspire to reach international success.
- ISSF D Class qualified Coach
- ISSF D Class qualified Coach
- British Shooting qualified Judge having officiated as RO, CRO and Jury.
- WTSF Coach in both pistol and rifle disciplines.
- NSRA qualified RCO, Air Gun instructor, 3P instructor, Prone Instructor, Club Coach and County Coach. Rob has also just attended the NSRA Regional Coach course.
- Member of the NSRA, the NRA, the WAA, the WSRA
- Rob has previously coached athletes to attend national and international events with those athletes securing national and international success.
Profile: Graham Bell
Graham is currently doing a PhD in Biomechanics and Physiology, working with world leaders in running gait he is looking at fatigue and how that effects the running gait.
He is currently working on his abstract on running gait retraining, to be presented at the international biomechanics conference this summer.
He has a Masters in Sport and Exercise Science at the University of Bath, were he focused on biomechanics in sprinting and running. He is a qualified strength and conditioning coach, working with multiple Olympic, World, Commonwealth and European medallists. And is working with athletes from Athletes, Australian Rules, Basketball, Football, Judo, Netball, Rugby and Swimming all to international level.
Graham is also a qualified Sports Massage Therapist, which he says has: “helped further my knowledge of the body especially in injury prevention. I currently do injury prevention presentation at running and triathlon clubs.”
An addition string to Graham’s bow is that he has 10 years’ experience conducting gait analysis and specialist shoe fittings.
Coaches: Please apply to Gorgs Geikie Events@BritishShooting.org.uk